Thursday, June 14, 2012

KAMEHAMEHA SUMMER SCHOOL: DAY 1


After taking the attendance of the class, my classmates and I went outside onto Kōnia field, were the other Hawaiian 1 classes were waiting. There we watched as nā kumu pounded the Kalo into fresh pa’i’ai. While pounding the Kalo they told us the names of the instruments they used to make the pa’i’ai such as the pohaku and the papa. After serving us the fresh pa’i’ai, nā kumu explained their motive behind doing this activity the very first day of school. The main motive was to learn about connections. We learned about how the Kalo was our older brother. Also about how the duty of the older siblings were to care for the younger and the duty of the younger siblings were to listen and respect the older siblings. Nā kumu also told us that if we didn’t understand something to just ask and not to be shy, which really helped because I was super shy and worried today. Finally we went back to our classrooms where Mr. Soller gave us a syllabus and went through it. We then went on to learn Nā Niau 5. I was really nervous when Kumu Kalani called on me during class because I don’t like speaking in front of people and I was worried that I would make a mistake but after a while it became easier to do. Then we went to the Mid-kiff lab where we were divided into groups and participated in a scavenger hunt. It was really fun! Overall, today was really amazing and I am excited to take this course.

No comments:

Post a Comment