Thursday, June 14, 2012

Kamehameha Summer School: Day 2


Today we began class by first reading a book called Hāloa. We read it out loud in order to practice pronouncing Hawaiian words correctly. I thought this exercise was really good because it pushed me out of my comfort zone and I learned a lot of new material about the ancestry of Hāloa, Wākea, Papa, and the Hawaiian islands. After finishing the book, we began to sing a few songs, for example we sang Mele Kino. This song gave us all the Hawaiian names for our body parts. We also sang a song that taught us how to count from one to ten in Hawaiian and another one but I forgot what it was called. After our twenty minute break we took a quiz on our Nā ninau. Then we went on to learn how to count from zero to one hundred in Hawaiian. After practicing our numbers, we finally moved on to learning the papani, which are au, ‘oe, and ‘oia. These three words translated into I, you, and he/she. The number one thing that I believe I am struggling with is reading Hawaiian out loud. I’m not sure how to pronounce a lot of the Hawaiian words when I see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment